November 17, 2016

History

Attachment-1

As the story goes, during the time that Reverend John Flynn served as pastor at St.Patrick’s Parish, the idea of building a parish school was formulated. The plans for the construction of a school and convent came to life in 1955 under the direction of Reverend Philip Nolan. The parish had already purchased 10 acres of land on the corner of Route 22 and Greenwich Road. Now, the next step was to construct a nine-classroom school with a gymnasium and a convent to house the Sisters of Charity, who were commissioned to open and establish a school. All work to be completed at the incredible cost of $300,000.

The architects commissioned to design the school were given explicit guidance to design a structure keeping with the early American design prevalent in the buildings throughout Bedford Village and to complement the design of the Church.

The sprawling lawn, the New England townhouse structure of the convent, and the school with its white columned receiving porch welcomed people to the parish.

Easter, 1968

The school opened on September 10, 1956 under the direction of Sr. Marie Vincetta, Sr. Marguerite McCann, Sr. Stephen Marie and Mrs. Kenneth Chamberlain. With 37 students enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 3, St. Patrick’s School had officially arrived on the corner of Greenwich Road and Route 22. By the spring, enrollment had grown to 90, and by 1959, the school had expanded up to grade 6 and doubled in enrollment!

St. Patrick’s School continued to grow over the coming decades and would experience the changes that come with time. The Sisters of Charity would no longer staff the school and would be replaced by dedicated lay teachers. Sr. Kathleen Fitzgerald, who arrived as a teacher in 1964, continues to this day to teach the students of the school and be a visible presence of her order, which was dedicated by St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, foundress of the Catholic school system in the United States, to educate children in the faith and academics.